St. Stephen's Green was re-opened by Lord Ardilaun in 1880 for the citizens of Dublin. This nine hectare / 22 acre park, in Dublin City Centre, has been maintained in the original Victorian layout with 750 trees, extensive shrub planting with spring and summer Victorian flower bedding.
The herbaceous border also provides colour from early spring to late autumn. Sanctuary from inclement weather can be found in the Victorian lakeside shelter or in the Victorian Swiss shelters in the centre of the park.
Over 3.5km of pathways are accessible for all users. The park features a waterfall and Pulham rock work on the western side of the green and an ornamental lake which provides a home for waterfowl. Fifteen commemorative sculptures are located throughout the green. A children's playground is also a highlight of the park. Lunchtime concerts are performed during the summer months.
Facilities include playground and garden for the visually impaired.
Please note St. Stephen's Green closes according to daylight hours.
Dogs are not permitted in playground area, lake or fountain; they must be on a lead in flower bed areas.
Nearby, to the North, The Little Museum of Dublin has great views over the Green and also a lovely basement café, Hatch and Sons.
On the South side of St Stephen's Green is MoLI (Museum of Literature of Ireland), where all are welcome to visit the Commons Café.