The "Irish White House" or Áras an Uachtaráin was originally designed by park ranger and amateur architect Nathaniel Clements. It contains 95 rooms and was acquired by the Viceroys who oversaw British rule in Ireland. Today it is the Official Residence of the President of Ireland and has been used for that purpose since 1938. Many world leaders have passed through its doors.
The formal gardens were created in 1840 . They contain many Victorian features, including ceremonial trees, an arboretum, wilderness, pleasure grounds, avenues, walks, ornamental lakes and a walled garden. The walled garden, which is managed sustainably and has organic status, provides fruit, vegetables and flowers for the Áras.
Visitors are welcome on most Saturdays. Tour tickets are issued on a first-come-first-served basis from the Phoenix Park Visitor Centre, located outside the grounds of Áras an Uachtaráin. Each tour takes about an hour and fifteen minutes and is free of charge. Group and/or advance booking is not possible. Visitors must bring photographic ID on the day of the visit.